Thursday, June 10, 2010

Special Post - It's Your Time

Dear Chelsea -

It's your time.

It seems like just yesterday when you looked up at me with those one year old eyes that seemed to beam, "Trust your dream".

Tonight is your night.

Fast forward eight years, and it again seems like just yesterday when you were fighting for life's vitality, a victim of life's unfortunate circumstances over which you had no control.  It was a day I'll never forget as we rushed a frail 55 pound young girl to Children's Hospital to face the beginning of a lifelong road of shots, tubes, and meters.

I remember several things about that trip.

I remember sleeping in the hospital playroom for the week when the beds were full. 

I remember being promised that I'd be able to first practice giving insulin shots on oranges, before the nurse turned to me on the first night when it was time for your shot and said, "here, why don't you do this." 

At which point, I recall screaming, "Wait, where are the oranges??"  Yet the nurse reminded me why I hate trading simulators as she said, "Look, you're going to have to do this eventually, so now's a good time to start."

Tonight ends an intense four year road of personal sacrifice.

And I also remember the doctor staring you in the face on day one and saying there was nothing that diabetes would prevent you from doing.  Nothing.

There's only one problem with this summary of history ... the word "victim" has never been a part of your vocabulary.  It wasn't then and it isn't now, for you've instead chosen to pursue a life of quiet leadership by example.

As parents, we're supposed to teach our children, be stronger than them, and help point their way during our brief period of stewardship.

Yet you've reversed the order on all three counts.

I wince when I get a splinter.  You've been stuck with needles over 20,000 times and have never complained.

Valedictorian.  Top Gun.  Top Dog.  Numero Uno.  An astounding four-year 4.24 GPA due to the weighting of AP courses & wire-to-wire #1 ranking for SEVEN straight years.

Life often isn't fair.


But tonight, it is.

And while I've said this before, I'll say it again ... you'd make one helluva trader.


Congratulations.

8 comments:

Jay Jay said...

Great Post. It's nice to read a beautiful story like this. Congrats to you and your family.

Jay

Unknown said...

I often think that God gives us children...to teach the parents.

Congratulations to Chelsea. My oldest daughter Danielle also graduates high school this year, and plays viola for the symphony orchestra (and piano, harp and violin).

I'm like you Don, it's great to be a Dad in the audience...we're always to first to start clapping (unfortunately about 10 seconds too soon - LOL).

All the best wishes to you and your family Don.

David

BirdMan said...

Don

Great post! Congratulations to you and your family - and especially to Chelsea!

Dave

rolcol said...

Wow.....what a great post and thanks for sharing, Don....and to Chelsea, from one musician (and trader) to another, congratulations and I wish you nothing but the best. You'll be successful in whatever direction life takes you! God Bless you!

Roland Colsen

rolcol325 (Twitter)

EC7 said...

To the victor go the spoils- Enscribed on Roman Empire swords.

The Brave shall inherit the earth, and Brave she is. As are you Don, (I would think she picked up some attributes from pops).

Congrats and great post

Anonymous said...

Wow! This is such a great story of faith and commitment. I think it pushes us all up.
Thank you,Don, for sharing the tail of the Millers'.
Just want to say: All the best to you and your familiy.

You are an inspiration, Chelsea!

Juergen

E said...

What a great story...truly an outstanding young lady in every respect.

Parents had a big hand in setting her on the right track but she had to do the daily grind.

I sat next to her at the bamboo picnic last summer; she was so down to earth. I had no idea she was this talented.

Congratulations to all.

Anonymous said...

Ups, I think I have to apologize.

What I wanted to say: "... the tale of the Millers'...."!

I'm sorry, Don. Have a good start in this week.

Juergen