Sunday, August 9, 2009

The Weekend Trader - "The Non-Answer Man"

While I wasn't going to do a post today, my wife and I just finished watching The Answer Man this morning, which was a wonderful story about a man named Arlen Faber who the world believed had all the answers as the result of his books and so-called "discussions with God".

And while I won't ruin the ending for those who haven't yet seen the movie, suffice it to say that it was a great reinforcement that none of us have divine answers.

Instead, we have our own questions and experience a lifetime of trying to find answers through living, stumbling, experimenting, making mistakes, adapting, overcoming failures, and succeeding. And based on this person's still-in-progress 48 year old journey, I've found it's a cycle that often repeats throughout our lives. And the lessons the Jellies and Webinar onlookers are learning simply reflect that. No magic eight balls ... rather lessons learned through the constantly shifting cycle of life.

About a month ago, I made reference to the fact that I'm no Willy Wonka, and that there's no such thing as an "Everlasting Gobstopper" ... especially in trading. I'm also no Arlen Faber ... at least the Arlen in the first half of the movie. So if you're looking for all the answers, you'll have to turn elsewhere.

Some think the recent few years of publicized market successes may have "changed" me ... whatever that means. Yet frankly, for me it's only led to more questions and a continued thirst to explore new doors and hallways, a small part of which includes education, with a larger part simply reflecting a continued search for more clues as to the real "answers" that I guess we're supposed to slowly uncover as this great gift of life continues.

Why I was tremendously blessed in 2008-09 may always remain a mystery.

Perhaps what I do with it is the real test.

And please bear with me as I'm still working on that answer.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

P.S. Another relevant and timely post from Dr. Brett ... this one on the lack of effective trading "incubators".

And yes, I've finally joined the ranks of those Twittering, while tiring late Friday and opting for the video over the virtual pen.