6:30pm I thought today was one of the more interesting days in the following respects:
- It was a Tuesday, but really a Monday (my least favorite day of the week for obvious reasons).
- It was inauguration day. I hate possible midday market moving news ... did you see that 12 point ES cliff drop after the swearing in?
- I was forced to be away from the markets during the early and late action.
- I had to trade the 10:30am short pullback sequence from my car on the highway, which provided the bulk of the day's take. Thank goodness for Sprint Wireless.
- It was a trend day (also not a favorite for liquidity-providing traders who need frequent re-entry points), yet with marked volatility in terms of price swings and not always easy to time short re-entries.
In fact, you'd have to reverse each bullet point above to provide my preferred trading backdrop. And yet despite such obstacles, the day was somehow another modest success (updated peformance chart to left updated) as we get ready for -- everyone repeat after me -- possible m-o-r-n-i-n-g a-f-t-e-r t-r-e-n-d d-a-y.
In terms of charts, the attached 15 minute VIX and ES charts (click to enlarge) were solid guides, and following the TICK was often critical in terms of timing entries.
And while today wasn't a typical day in my trading life given the backdrop painted above, and I thus shouldn't draw many conclusions from it, I still sense I'm somewhat sleepwalking through the month and am wondering if will take a hard hit or heavy win for me to get the adrenaline pumping again.
I should find out either way very soon.