Friday, October 23, 2009

Friday Notes - Finding Oneself

It's often said that when you're struggling, sometimes the best thing you can do is to focus on others, during which time you may very well "find oneself".

Well, a funny thing happened during these past three months of intense Jellie team training efforts which concluded today. I found myself.

For after months of wrangling with a loss of motivation, enthusiasm, and at times sub par performance after a mind-blowing 15-month run, somewhere amidst the recent 500+ hours of non-stop focus on people other than myself -- including 40 Jellies and the American Diabetes Association -- a personal evolution and restoration took place.

Oh, it wasn't immediate. Is it ever? In fact, like my recent 25 pound weight loss, I can't pinpoint exactly when it happened. Yet I can in part point to two conversations I had last week, where two astute Jellies observed a hitch in my own swing that I hadn't quite been fully aware of. And such seemed to result in finding the final missing piece to my own puzzle -- which to that point had seemed almost complete -- and which in turn helped me recapture my seven-figure performance pace.

Imagine that.

In the process of helping others, the favor was returned in a most unexpected way.

And perhaps equally ironic is that the final puzzle piece was found when I simply stopped looking for it.

Life.

What an amazing gift.

What an amazing journey.

... which continues on Monday.